As the Backend Technical Lead, you will provide the team with technical guidance to improve our codebase’s performance, reliability, security, and maintainability using industry-standard best practices. You will work directly with the head of tech to plan and evaluate solutions to meet current and future business needs. An overview of your responsibilities includes writing code and providing architectural and design direction, organisation of the backend technical team, the management of technical debt, and the insurance of high-quality deployments. You will be working in a fast-paced environment, however, our priority is and always will be quality above the speed of development. The ideal candidate encourages an environment that promotes agile development along with innovation, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Writing code.
- Working closely with the head of tech on the planning and execution of development items.
- Assist in the organisation of the backend technical team, including distribution of work according to skills and individual workload.
- Monitor code quality assurance, progress, and performance through a healthy code review cycle.
- Identify risks, technical debt, and improvements to bring up for discussion.
- Provide technical guidance to team members to ensure their growth within the company.
- Motivate staff and create a space where they can ask questions and voice their concerns.
- Work with the DevOps team to ensure they are catering to the needs of the platform and team.
Requirements: Must Haves
- Degree in an appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience in leading a technical team.
- Excellent technical, architectural, diagnostic, and troubleshooting skills with a solution-orientated mindset.
- A clear understanding of database and API design patterns.
- Strong leadership, organisational and interpersonal skills.
Requirements: Nice-To Haves
- Experience with automated testing frameworks.
- An understanding and ability to communicate with DevOps-related items.